Back in the 1980s and 1990s, the light gun shooter game was one of the most thrilling types of games around. It was rather easy for people to use such games as these:
- First, the game console and television set have to be set up. In most cases a particular series of sensors would have to be added at specific parts around the television set. These were used to allow light gun signals to be read at a certain pattern.
- Second, a proper light gun controller would have to be plugged into the unit. Sometimes a traditional controller would have to be plugged in as well.
- The controller can then be read by the sensors as it will shoot off some pulses onto the screen to make it look like it is going to shoot something. The player can then use this to shoot objects on the screen.
This was a rather popular type of game for people to enjoy back in the early days of video games. However, it ran out of favor for a number of reasons:
- The process of setting up such a game was rather cumbersome.
- It became harder for video games to work with the technology to get such a program ready. This is especially since it was typically easier for a cartridge-based game to be programmed with light gun controls in mind.
- The controllers themselves were becoming harder to manage.
- People wanted to get a little more out of their shooter games. The fact that many at-home controllers don’t feature secondary fire options only hurt these games.
- High-definition television sets cannot work well with the same technology that was used in earlier light gun games.
- The rash of school shootings in the 1990s only made things worse as people were afraid of the connotations that would come with having a gun-like controller in the house. Many groups feared that children would begin to think that it is fine to handle real guns and that they are easy to fire off.
Things are starting to change as more games are being designed with motion sensor controls in mind. That is, a user will attach a proper sensor to a television set and the wireless controller one has will be linked up to that sensor. This will allow the player to point and click on different parts of the screen in order to get around different games.
This has become popular with the Move controller that Sony has created for its PlayStation console series. The Wii Remote that was created by Nintendo for its Wii has especially influenced the field.
These controllers have made it easier for light gun games to make a comeback. Players can point and shoot at their screens with these controllers. They can even use secondary shooting options and other adjustments in their games by using the many additional buttons that are featured on some of these more advanced controllers. It has gotten this time of game to enter into the twenty-first century.